Over the last 15 years of working in my clinic, I’ve noticed the same patterns coming up again and again. People make certain mistakes, often without realising, and that negatively impacts their skin and overall wellness.
In today’s article, I’m going to list six common mistakes, and give you actionable steps on how you can overcome these and finally achieve the results you desire with your skincare routine.
1. Constantly dragging your skin and overexpressing
Whether you’re rubbing your eyes, applying skincare products or doing face yoga, there are many occasions when you might be too harsh on your skin, tearing it apart and breaking down collagen.
Besides, you might be overexpressing, which can result in ageing signs on your skin.
- When you touch your skin, make an effort to be gentle.
- Use a mirror: if you see wrinkles forming when touching your face, you’re being too harsh.
- Get to know your face and try to avoid unnecessary over expressions.
2. Not getting enough sleep or not sleeping in the best position
While we sleep, our skin renews and restores, so it’s easy to understand why undersleeping can have a negative impact on it (hence why we get dark circles, puffiness or wrinkles after a bad night of sleep).
Plus, your sleeping position might affect your skin, because you might be pressing down on it for many hours in a row.
- Meditate (you can use my app to help you build this habit).
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time.
- Have a chamomile tea before bed.
- Sleep on your back.
- Use the Sleep and Glow Pillow
3. You’re too stressed
When we’re under pressure, our body goes into fight or flight mode and it reacts as if we’re going through a life-threatening situation, when most times, we’re not.
This can cause chronic stress, which can have devastating effects on our body and mind and, in terms of our face, can lead to collagen breakdown, dehydration, muscle weakness, and more.
- Do 20 to 30 daily minutes of face yoga.
- Meditate and/or do yoga.
- Have some fresh air.
- Start a gratitude journal.
- Use positive affirmations.
4. Using too many products and not removing your makeup
Using a huge variety of skincare products might seem like a good idea at first, but it often leads to inflammation, increased sensitivity, and even to conditions such as eczema, rosacea, and acne.
- Keep your routine at a minimum: cleanse, tone, exfoliate, and apply sunscreen.
- Use natural products.
- Remove your makeup every night, as early in the evening as possible.
5. You’re not making the best lifestyle choices
There are three habits that have a major impact on your skin: consuming too much sugar, smoking, and drinking caffeine and/or alcohol. You can check my book to learn the reasons why!
- Avoid sugary foods or drinks, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
6. Not wearing sunscreen
UVA rays are extremely damaging to our skin and what most people don’t take into consideration is that they can penetrate through clouds and glass, so although it might feel like we’re protected during Winter or inside our cars, we aren’t.
- Wear an SPF on your face, neck, chest, and hands every single day (even if it’s cloudy).
- Remember that the SPF on your moisturizer or foundation isn’t enough.
Are you making any of these skin mistakes? Now you know how to stop. Have a happy, healthy and glowing day x