Pores. I get so many questions sent to me every week with the same question ‘how do we reduce pore size?’. Well let’s start with the bad news: we can’t change pore size. The size of our pores comes down to a few things- genetics, skin colour and type (darker, oilier skin tends to have larger pores), the collagen in our skin and in simplistic terms- how clean we have kept our face.
Once a pore is ‘stretched’ and becomes larger it physically can’t go smaller again. Pores aren’t doors, we can’t open and close them!
BUT we can do two things. We can reduce the appearance of pores (sometimes only temporarily) and we can stop them stretching more. So that’s the good news.
As someone who had bad acne as a teenager, my pores have been left larger than I would like so here are things I do personally and recommend to Face Yoga clients to prevent the problem getting worse:
1. Clean the skin properly every morning and night (and not with wipes- these just move dirt around). If there’s any trace of pollution, dirt, oil or make up this will worsen the situation, stretching the pores even bigger.
2. Wear sunscreen daily. Sun damage massively breaks down the collagen in the skin, meaning the pores stretch even further without that structure in the dermis. SPF 30 or above should be worn even on cloudy days or when driving. UVA light can penetrate clouds and windows.
3. Exfoliate twice a week to help the re-generation of skin cells and to clean the pores thoroughly. This also helps pores to appear smaller.
4. Drink 2 litres of water, eat a diet high in antioxidants, reduce sugar and caffeine and get enough protein. This will all help maintain the collagen and elastin in the skin which will reduce pores stretching more.
5. Use facial ice globes every day (use code FACEYOGAEXPERT15 at checkout for 15% off) . I have recently started adding these to my Facial Yoga routine. They are great to use first thing in the morning and pores appear smaller and tighter after use.
There is so much more to say about pores but I am just sharing some very simple tips today which alongside your Face Yoga and Fusion by Danielle Collins serum, should help to reduce the appearance.
The last thing I want to say about open pores is that we live in a World where make up, filters and camera angles make us think it’s ‘normal’ to have perfect skin and tiny pores. But the reality is, no one has perfect skin. Our skin is a living, breathing organ which works so hard for us every second of every day and is exposed to so many toxins and elements so if it has some large pores, spots or lines- guess what….that’s the real normal.